Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Home sweet home

I had flown down yesterday from Portland. I went from the airport to the hospital to deliver the news to my father in person. I walked into his room and his eyes lit up like a kid on christmas morning. I said "Hey! What's up?"

He waved and greeted me. I then said "Dad... I am here to bring you home. I am here to make sure you get your warm glazed doughnut."

My Father said "I love you Rob. Thank you so much."

I spent some time with him until he drifted off to sleep. I then exited the hospital and walked. I had my small rolling suitcase with laptop case attached and just proceeded to walk through Mountain View.

Everything began looking different to me. The people driving in their cars, heading home from work, looking like aliens sealed in their own tiny environments.

I eventually found myself at an Irish Pub in downtown Mountain View, meeting with my dear friend Amy. It was a nice departure to be having a cold beer, some pub grub, and sitting across from an old friend, unloading a little bit of the baggage I had been carrying.

I got to sleep as soon as I could because I knew that there was much to do before we got him home.

I woke up early and got the furniture out of the living room. Mopped the floor, dusted, and prepped for the delivery of the hospital bed.

I was able to move the 100 pound television into place and got it functional. Now we were in business.

I drove to the hospital to oversee his discharge and load-up in the ambulance that was transporting him home. He was so happy, anxious, and most importantly... at peace. He had that doughnut on his mind.

We got him home. We set him up in the bed and he was watching the Giants baseball game a grin on his face from ear to ear.

As soon as he was set-up, we met with the Hospice Social Worker and then Intake Nurse. This was a four hour meeting.

To aid in my father's pain management, a heavy hitting arsenal of narcotics are on the roster; Dilaudid (for breakthrough pain), Methidone (to maintain a baseline).

I ran around trying to get two of the top requested foods and treats he was desiring:

1.) Warm glazed doughnut
2.) A soft beef taco

I served the doughnut on a plate, warmed per his instructions, with a towel over my forearm and posing as his waiter at a fine dining establishment.

Watching him eat the doughnut was one of the most enjoyable sights ever. Each bite of that sugary doughy delicacy was savored.

As the night progressed, we attempted to sleep. My mother was exhausted and she could not be on the couch near him. I sent her off to her bed and I will stay on the couch, I'll assume I will be awake for the most part.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for being there and making all dads final wishes a reality :-) It means the world to him, mom and I.

    I love you Rob.

    All I think about is the memories we once shred with dad, the memories of you and I in santa cruz on the boardwalk, the appreciation you taught me for the Santa Cruz Mountains. All the good times we have shared throughout the years.

    As painful as this time is, these are also memories I will forever remember and cherish and very glad to have you as my brother.

    -matt

    ReplyDelete